The Washington Post reports:
The Supreme Court on Friday temporarily allowed the Biden administration to continue its efforts to get social media companies to remove posts from their platforms that the government says are misleading.
The administration had asked the justices to put on hold a lower-court ruling that found top officials likely violated the First Amendment by improperly pressuring tech companies to take down what they saw as problematic posts about public health and election-related disinformation.
The high court’s order will remain in effect until the justices consider the case themselves and issue a ruling before the end of their term in June. Conservative Justices Samuel A. Alito Jr., Clarence Thomas and Neil M. Gorsuch dissented from the order, calling the development “highly disturbing.”
Read the full article. The lower court’s ruling came due to a lawsuit filed by far-right and viciously anti-LGBTQ Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry, who was elected governor last week.
Supreme Court says White House can continue requests to tech companies https://t.co/P2DNu9TnCP
— Post Politics (@postpolitics) October 20, 2023